Friday, March 2, 2012

One More Day of Disney ~ time was about all they got.



Ok… so from all of the pictures and posts I’ve seen around the Internet. It appears that the One More Disney Day turned out to be just another day in the park, extended hours of course. Sure there were some handouts like buttons and mouse ears, but for the most part it was just like any other day. People I’ve talked to loved being in the park, but it was the same thing they would have had. Many didn’t even stay in the park the entire time, and who could blame them.

I’m both disappointed because I expected more from Disney, and happy because I was so tempted to go I almost asked the wife to take off from work and would have jumped through hoops to arrange it. Add to that, the shirts available in the park were also available online which really makes no sense to me. Why would you want a shirt to commemorate an event that you didn’t attend and pay upwards of $30.00 to do it? Are we planning on “acting” like we attended? What’s the point, especially if there’s nothing extra except extra hours that went along with it?

The sun wasn’t even fully raised and the ears, pins, park maps, and time schedules were already being sold on eBay, with bidders. I don’t know who I feel more disappointed in, the opportunist selling, or the gouged buyers. Either way, they can have each other.

This was an event that only happens every four years. You’d think it would warrant a parade, firework show, or even some kind of modification of the castle show. How hard would it have really been? Each year they run the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party with unique shows, extended hours, unique fireworks, and other events. Even the 4th of July fireworks are modified. I really think they dropped the ball on this.

Most people going were going to go anyway, the extra time was just a bonus.  They didn’t charge more for admission like they do for the parties, but it will take some doing to convince me they didn’t rake in the money that day.

For many, I assume, they were able to ride with shorter lines in the early hours, and get character face time, again with shorter lines. Eventually the crowd did show up and it was hectic, crowded, and stressful for some who didn’t know how to handle it. Which is what kept me away. I’ve seen short and long lines. Rude and nice people.  It all depends on the season, time, and a bit of luck.

If you went, besides having the normal fun you were going to have riding, eating, watching, etc. what extra did you get? I’d be curious to know. As for me, I think in four years, I’ll still be wary of going unless some changes are announced.  

I'm not saying it was horrible, I'm just saying I was not disappointed that I didn't go, and maybe I should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment